Yeovil Games
23 November, 2017, 23:12:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Wing Tourney - The Sequel (again) [21st May]  (Read 513 times)
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« on: 27 February, 2017, 15:39:14 PM »

Planning another one of these season break after next if folks are game!

Format will be standard 100 pt Squads and the usual gubbins re prize support etc applies (though I'm not going to recuse myself from winning this time round, in the event of a dispute where I'm involved we'll figure out something impartial, I'd like a chance to win myself though this time round Tongue)

Play will run via the current FFG tourney rules with one noteable exception (see below)
« Last Edit: 27 March, 2017, 15:31:59 PM by Locutus9956 » Logged

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite signature on the forum!
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2017, 15:52:19 PM »

A few noteable FAQ/Tourney rule updates that I was unaware of until recently (and importantly one that I'm NOT implementing):

1. Half points for Big Ships. Ships on large bases are worth half points if they're reduced to or below half their total hit points at the end of the game but still alive (hit points in this case is a total of shields and hull points (this does include things added by upgrades cards and the points is equal to half their list cost with all upgrades). I HUGELY approve of this rule change as it takes a nice dent out of dirty dirty double falcon lists and Fat Hans, Bro-Bots etc etc. Doesnt stop them murdering you of course but at least lets you claw some points back!

2. Illegal maneuvers. If you put a red maneuver down while already stressed your opponent no longer picks your move, you simply do a 2 white straight. Not one that comes up all that often with reasonably experienced players but still an important distinction especially with things that can give out stress tokens all over the place....

3. Damage Decks. This is the contentious one. The current tourney rules pack states, players are free to pick which version of damage deck they use along with their list. FFG then proceed to spew some rubbish about how it 'adds variety to the ever growing meta blah blah'. This to my mind is simply a load of baloney.

The whole point of the revised damage deck was to fix some cards that penalised some lists more than others, simply put I cannot think of a single reason to ever use the new damage deck over the old one from strategic viewpoint if given the choice, the new dack is flat out nastier, every crit in it will hit every list equally, whereas there are a number of crits in the old deck that will just get ingnored by some lists.

The reason they've put this in is quite simply they've caved to folks winging that they need to buy a second starter to play at tourneys (honestly to have to buy essentially a revised edition that costs 20 quid to stay current for competive play within the 3 years XWing has been running now is hardly a massive shocker and this sort of ruling just leads ti inconsistent games imo)....

...deep breath... so basically the TL/DR version:

This ruling is simply a BAD ruling imo and as such it will NOT be in use in any games/events I run. Revised damaged decks ONLY. I'm quite happy for folks to share a single decks for a table and we should have enough at least for this between most of us anyway but I hugely urge everyone to pick one up anyway, when all said and done the new starter IS under 20 quid and you get 3 new ships for your money too Wink

Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2017, 16:19:02 PM »

addendum to previous rant:

I've had some debate via the XWing facebook group and have been swayed by arguments that there are in fact several cards in the old deck that are actually alot MORE crippling than the new ones depending on the list being played and its not QUITE as much of a cop out (I still think its sort of defeating the point of there being a revised damage deck as it's basically like saying if a rule changes in an FAQ or revised edition of a game players can use whichever version they like (ie whichever version favours their own squadron/force/army...) best and that seems dumb to me but I'm sufficiently swayed that this isnt quite as one sided as I thought as such, I'm ok with it for play.

So with that said, everyone must have their own damage deck, you can use whichever version you prefer, tourney rules by the book!

Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2017, 16:45:17 PM »

Anyone up for this?

Maccabeus
Blood Bowl Coaches
I couldn't think of a title for this bit, so I'll just say 'RoboChap is awesome'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2017, 20:26:17 PM »

Should be fine, depends on the dates for the season break.
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2017, 15:02:55 PM »

To clarify this is due to run 21st May as things stand (as long as we get at least 6 players it will be the same case as last time of £5 entry which will fund a small prize as well as cover club fees) (if we can't get at least 6 players (myself included) we wont run and in the event we get a bigger group I'll see what I can do about arranging further prize support!

Let me know if you're interested (and if you CAN give me a definite committment sooner rather than later that would be much appreciated of course folks!)

Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches
[insert humorous forum title here]

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2017, 20:59:59 PM »

Now that everything has been pushed back by a week, I might be around for this

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »

I'm intrested and shall check if I'm able to make that date for the whole time.
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2017, 15:40:48 PM »

Folks I've just read about a very interesting sounding tourney format that I thought I'd float here to judge if folks would be interested in giving it a go (I'll only run it if everyone is happy with said idea).

Basically the format is OTP (Original Trilogy Play).

The rules are simple, each player brings 2 lists, one Rebel and one Imperial, there are no mirror matches, in round one the player with initiative picks which of their lists to play and their opponent must use the oposing one of theirs (so every match will be Rebel vs Imperial) Every round after the first the lower ranked player gets to pick their list.

You may only use ships that appeared in the Original Trilogy:

Rebels - A-Wing B-Wing Y-Wing X-Wing(T-65 that is...) and YT-1300.
Imperials - TIE Fighter, TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor, TIE Advanced, Shuttle, Firespray.

All upgrade cards are allowed with the exception of the items on the 'banned' list below:

Emperor Palpatine is banned, Twin Laser Turrets are Banned, 'Double Falcons' are banned.

Thats the rules written from where I read them.

I'd actually further modify them to say maximum one one Large based ship in any given list as well but since I'd be playing myself I'll leave that open to discussion.

Needless to say this would restrict quite a few things though so as noted if folks don't want to go down this route this time I'll understand!

Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2017, 22:11:45 PM »

I don't own any Rebel ships... it's a cool concept but I think I'd prefer to use the ships I know how to fly!
Malcy Malc
Committee Members
Sir Postsalot

Hunting for fossils.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »

I personally love the idea. I don't really play x-wing anymore. The game as I see it has become "pay to win", if you don't keep up with the most recent purchases chances are you'll lose. With the proposed lists it puts everyone on a nice even playing field.

Now, don't take the above as me saying I'm in. But if it runs as you're suggesting, I MAY be.
« Last Edit: 28 March, 2017, 12:06:24 PM by Malcy Malc » Logged
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2017, 14:27:47 PM »

I don't own any Rebel ships... it's a cool concept but I think I'd prefer to use the ships I know how to fly!

That's the main concern I thought a few folks might have, however if it's simply a matter of not HAVING the ships, then that's not a major issue with the number of ships we have floating around if its only one or two people with said concern we could easily arrange loan forces... Again it's a suggestion rather than something were definitely doing by any means just testing the water here!

The game as I see it has become "pay to win", if you don't keep up with the most recent purchases chances are you'll lose. With the proposed lists it puts everyone on a nice even playing field.

I disagree there personally, certainly some of the new stuff is very nasty indeed but some of the older stuff is still very nasty if used right, I think the larger problem with X-Wing from a competitive standpoint certainly, is that the game has drifted into the lands of cheese builds and netlists and so forth and there's so many options out there at this point that inevitably some are going to flat out rise above the competion you end up with the age old problem where forces that are just built to win at all costs will utterly curbstomp lists built to be 'fluffy'. I personally try to walk the line generally and build as nasty a squad I can whilst still sticking to canonical themes but even still some of the stuff I've run, if I'm honest is drifting into nastier stuff that's stretching canon a little Wink

The idea here is to bring the game back to the feel of the early days of the game where every game you played felt like the classic dogfights from the movies and less gamey (but still allowing nearly all the newer upgrade cards to allow plenty of variety and not be TOO restrictive. In essence the idea is the break the meta and do away with the 'mirror matches'.

As an alternative idea, I'd like to suggest another much less limiting format to at least break up the mirror matches a little where we use the idea of everyone bringing 2 lists of 2 different factions and the same system of folks lower ranked getting first pick of their lists and no mirror matches allowed (so if your oponent chooses an imperial list you then cannot pick YOUR imperial list and would have to play either scum or rebels) etc etc? Just forces a little variety in and means you cant just dominiate with one evil list?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2017, 07:31:02 AM »

If it means not playing my beloved defenders or phoenix squadron when rebels then not a chance in hell, I'd only be intrested in playing what I like sorry.

I do however like the idea of having two lists from different factions to avoid mirror matches.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »

Two lists from different factions does sound fun.
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2017, 15:41:12 PM »

The 2 list idea seems popular thusfar so I'm inclined to consider it.

The OT play idea as I suspected a few folks are not keen on so will hold fire on that for now Wink

Can folks let me know as soon as possible if they can definitely make this? I need to get an idea of numbers so I can plan accordingly!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2017, 23:35:26 PM »

I shall try and find out by tomorrow if I can make it or not.
midnightbex
Blood Bowl Coaches
Rank 2 – The Sequel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 April, 2017, 17:52:19 PM »

I'll play if Chris can lend me a fleet again  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: