Yeovil Games
21 September, 2017, 22:23:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any D&D interest here?  (Read 844 times)
Holding92

View Profile
« on: 04 October, 2016, 18:02:03 PM »

Hello all,

New here, just wondering if anyone was interested or thinking about starting a D&D session at any point at the club?

let me know if there's any interest as it would be great to get this off the ground, however it would pretty much be my first time playing so any veterans out there?!

Cheers'en.  Grin
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches
[insert humorous forum title here]

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2016, 18:23:13 PM »

There's currently an ongoing 4th edition game that's going to be running another season of sessions soonish; I'm not running it so I can't speak for the GM, but last time we played there was a space or two free, so I can't see why that wouldn't still be the case.

I'm not aware of anything else that's planned at the moment. But there have certainly been games of 5e, 3.5 and AD&D in the past, so such things might very well happen again.

We do quite a lot of different RPGs at the moment, and you mentioned this would be pretty much your first time; is D&D the only kind of thing you're interested in trying?
Holding92

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2016, 22:49:31 PM »

Hey, thanks for the response.

At the moment I'm just into really trying out D&D but of course in future it'd be great to check out other things.

If there's a possibility of entering an existing game then that would be great. Do you know if there is a big difference between 4th ed and 5th?

Thanks again!
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2016, 00:20:20 AM »

The differences between the two editions are pretty significant to be honest.

I've played a few sessions of 5th, and it is a much more streamlined game than 4th, but the flip side is that 4th has a lot more tactical depth to it.

But while 4th is more complex primarily down to the number of options available to you (which come in the form of 'Powers' which all character classes have access to, representing either the spells of the Sorceror or the Rages of the Barbarian or the Expert Moves of the fighter) these options are all fairly clearly presented; we have a sheet of 'power cards' alongside our character sheets which list all the relevant information fairly concisely; the only times I've needed to refer to a rulebook have been when levelling up.  I'm sure you'd pick it all up fairly quickly.
LethalKitten
Administrator
All the cool kids were born in the 80's

The feeling when the GM asks 'are you sure?'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2016, 00:32:16 AM »

Just give it a go. Different versions suit different people.

There is space for you to join and if you don't like it then you can always pull out. Different games pop up each season so if you are resigning yourself to play D&D exclusively then you could be waiting a while fro the next game.

Is there a certain character build you are interested in?
aescleal
Rank 2 – The Sequel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2016, 10:25:02 AM »

Hi,

I'm the GM for the game that Tom (Tomsk) and Katie (Lethal Kitten) mentioned. I honestly can't remember when I said I'd run the next season of this - I think it was January/February November/December nextthis year - but you'd be welcome to join in. 5th Ed. is a bit different from 4th in the way in it defines characters but they're recognisably derived from the same game for most characters. I'll be at the club on Sunday so feel free to grab me for a chat if you want to know more.

Ash
« Last Edit: 05 October, 2016, 10:30:43 AM by aescleal » Logged
Holding92

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »

Cool. Thanks for the responses.

I would be interested to try out 4th ed when it's next on if possible, that'd be great.

I'm not set on one specific character build at the moment but I have a couple of ideas. Yeah I might just pop in to learn more actually.

Cheers'en guys.  Grin
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »

Current party includes:
Wizard
Ranger
Fighter
Bard
LethalKitten
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2016, 15:40:31 PM »

Ash you are running D&D next season in the evening.

Just come along to the group and see what's on. You'll get a space in a game somewhere and there's many games to look at. Like we said though, if you come along from the start of November then D&D will be running 5-9 ish so you can make up a character and get into the game.
silent bob
You sure post a lot! Not as much as some people of course...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2016, 18:21:40 PM »

Hi what E.D D&D are you looking at running? Cheesy

You must die I alone am best
aescleal
Rank 2 – The Sequel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »

+Silent Bob - it'll be the third season of a 4th Ed. game.
LethalKitten
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

Just come along one week and see what's on. Ash will bring his players handbook so you can have a look at the system and stuff.
LethalKitten
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »

Do you think you will be coming along in 2 weeks to play it?
Holding92

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2016, 15:56:45 PM »

Hello, yeah I'm up for that, do you know what day of the week it's usually on?
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2016, 20:58:23 PM »

Sundays!

If I'm counting right then the first session should be the 6th of November.  Game should start at 5pm, but the previous game should have finished by 4pm.
LethalKitten
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2016, 00:14:40 AM »

Yes- the club is every Sunday. There's one game 12-4 and then another game 5-9.

Ash's D&D is on from the 6th at 5-9. Usually it's an 8 week term and then games switch over but with Christmas being in the way it might be a session shorter or something but that's yet to be decided. You're welcome to come along this weekend as well if you want- it won't be D&D but you'll be able to play some board games and meet some of the players. Plus we can do you up a character if you're interested. It's kind of a 'free week' because the last term just finished so its anything goes.
Holding92

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2016, 15:17:33 PM »

Ah okay, unless something changes at work I won't be able to do that session on 6th at 5pm.

However that sunday should be a one off as I don't usually work that early on sundays if at all. I suppose I could join after the first session? or is that too awkward?
LethalKitten
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2016, 18:19:29 PM »

That's fine. You'll miss a little bit of story but it won't be too bad. I'll bring the book incase you do decide to come along this week just to see what's up.
Holding92

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 November, 2016, 18:07:53 PM »

OK now work starts at 8 so I can come along for most of the session this sunday to get started if that's cool?
LethalKitten
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 November, 2016, 22:22:55 PM »

Yeah that's fine come along. If you arrive any time from 4 then we can get you a character done

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 November, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »

Huzzah, more the merrier, glad you can make it for a bit Smiley
LethalKitten
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 November, 2016, 13:42:50 PM »

There is no earlier game this week so you can actually arrive at any time and we will get you set up with a character. As long as you get here for 4 though you will definitely be ready to play at 5.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: