Yeovil Games
23 November, 2017, 21:39:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 1801 times)
Ironcinder
Level 1 – Taking on the forum!!

View Profile WWW
« on: 01 August, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »

Anyone else interested in this game? The hype around it has been crazy, but ignoring that, it looks fun.

I'm Alexander. I like RPGs and board games a lot, and have plenty of dice. Plenty. I used to live in New York, too, but came back to the UK thanks to becoming disabled.

Right now I'm fighting to make sure Trümp is not elected.
Malcy Malc
Committee Members
Sir Postsalot

Hunting for fossils.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2016, 10:34:18 AM »

Yep I'll be getting it on PS4
Ironcinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:15:45 AM »

Any plans, beyond just figuring out what is going on? (PC for me; no PS4).

I'm Alexander. I like RPGs and board games a lot, and have plenty of dice. Plenty. I used to live in New York, too, but came back to the UK thanks to becoming disabled.

Malcy Malc
Committee Members
Sir Postsalot

Hunting for fossils.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2016, 16:00:51 PM »

No idea. I'm likely to go on a planet discovery spree at first. Otherwise I'd guess my plans will be to make my way towards the inner planets.
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2016, 16:12:07 PM »

Oh I'll be getting it... what platform I get it on remains to be seen but from what I've read given the size of the universe the chances of bumping into one another are slim at best anyway...

I've got high hopes for this game but I'm being cautious.... the hype has a worryingly 'SPOREesque' ring to it and I got burned by that one badly.... (I acutally LIKED SPORE but it wasn't even close to what it promised to be sadly Sad)

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite signature on the forum!
RoboChap
Web E. Coyote
YOUR TOAST HAS BEEN BURNT, AND NO AMOUNT OF SCRAPING WILL REMOVE THE BLACK PART

Exitus Acta Probat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2016, 16:34:02 PM »

I'm not familiar with it, what is the idea behind it? I pretty much only have one game I'm interested in buyng for the foreseeable future and that's the new Halo Wars game...

...and the moral of the story is 'Appreciate what you've got', because basically, I'm fantastic.

So, how are you holding up? Because I'm a potato...

The movie of my life must be really low budget.

And JESUS WEPT for there were no more worlds to conquer
Ironcinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2016, 17:11:52 PM »

It's definitely not an FPS!

From what I can tell, you're alone in a vast universe with little clue about why you're there. You have a spaceship, a backpack and a "multitool" gun/mining thing/scanner. Each thing can be upgraded or replaced.

The game may have a multiplayer aspect, but certainly initially, you're astronomically unlikely to be able to play with another person. You probably won't ever see another person.

Death is not permanent, but you can lose stuff you've gathered.

There is a core mystery, apparently there is a reason to go to the centre of the galaxy (sometimes centre of the universe... this is one of the mysteries).

There are no loading screens.

You can explore planets, flora and fauna, explore space, stations, systems, stars, aliens and factions.

The whole game is procedurally generated, so what you see is new and consistent, and the game takes less data to generate the same world.

They've said 99.9% of the potential planets will never be seen. If a human were to spend a second on each planet, they'd be playing for a billion years. So it's big, I guess.

I think it's definitely not for everyone, and I suspect many will hate it!

Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:58:14 AM »

Basically the gist of it is a staggeringly huge procedurally generated universe with planets, ecosystems and live, you explore said universe, discover new life and new civiliasations etc etc...

It's kind of like Elite crossed with what Spore was meant to be from what I've seen.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhNazoZLEXw

It's coming rather sooner than I realised apparently.... there goes my 'shiny budget' for next month....

Ironcinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2016, 15:57:22 PM »

Yeah, 9th August on the PS4, and 12th on the PC. I was watching a stream of a leaked copy (without spoilers), and it looks like it does what the developers say... I'm looking forward to it.

RoboChap
Web E. Coyote
YOUR TOAST HAS BEEN BURNT, AND NO AMOUNT OF SCRAPING WILL REMOVE THE BLACK PART

Exitus Acta Probat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »

So has anyone picked this up? Any good? I've watched a few youtube videos and I'm not sold on it as yet, a seems to be a lot of people saying that while it is "billions of different planets" or whatever that it's only a relatively small amount of variation and gets repetitive fast (I've seen people liken it to RDR with the hunting for animals and flowers, there may be lots of different things I collect but its still the same "ride here, pick this, ride there, pick that" mechanic that gets old fast)

...and the moral of the story is 'Appreciate what you've got', because basically, I'm fantastic.

So, how are you holding up? Because I'm a potato...

The movie of my life must be really low budget.

And JESUS WEPT for there were no more worlds to conquer
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2016, 17:26:53 PM »

Not actually picked it up yet... I'm actually on the fance from what I've read.

The general gist seems to be it DOES get a bit repetive after a while and there's alot of resource gathering but it IS actually fun if youre into that kind of game and like just exploring for the sake of finding cool looking stuff. What I've seen kind of puts me in mind of the exploration elements of Minecraft just with space....

And I like that....

However, it is also apparently a game that has alot of issues with optimisation on PC which is apparently even an issue for folks with beasts of gaming PCs (of which I am not one (certainly not at this point as my PCs is somewhat outdated and wasn't AMAZING to begin with frankly)....

Basically everything I'm seeing and reading is it's fun if you like Space/exploration and survival/gathering type games but don't get your expectations up too high as the hype is overblown....

I'll probably get it come payday but I'm not expecting it to blow my mind.... if anyone's actually interested I'll probably do a video on it if/when I DO pick it up...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2016, 18:35:18 PM »

Please do a Vid on it, would be really good to watch.
Malcy Malc
Committee Members
Sir Postsalot

Hunting for fossils.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August, 2016, 22:08:31 PM »

Yes I have it, I got it on release day but due to various reasons I've not played it THAT much. It's rather open, as you'd expect, and the randomly generated alien creatures are amusing to look at. From what I've played thus far, it is indeed a resource management game. Though at the moment I'm still in the "wow that's shiney" phase of the game. The textures are gorgeous on the PS4, on a properly spec'ed PC they would be even better!

It's not quite what I was looking for in that kind of game (OK I was basically looking for Elite..), the trading is not currently that advanced, and you can pretty much earn stupid money by either crafting and selling bypass chips, or by mining gold.

On the whole though, I think it's pretty good. I guess I'll be able to form a better opinion once I've played it more.
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »

Have you actually got Elite Dangerous mate? If not you really REALLY should (dunno if you can get it on PS4 but it's surpsisngly non pc intensive). It's really deoesnt do much more than the old Elites so don't go expecting miracles but it's awesome.

Honestly from what I've seen what I really want is Elites flight engine, trading, ships, upgrades... well basically all of Elite Dangerous just with NMS's planetary surfaces and life....

Asuo
This is the worst rank ever. Of all time.

Give me some suger.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2016, 20:01:40 PM »

I was soo looking forward to this game, the idea of building ships and buddying up to create fleets got me pricing up a gaming PC. Now its out and the multiplayer is none existent, im quite gutted TBH, gonna keep a close eye on it just incase future expansions improve it.

An Achivement a day keeps the something at bay.

Remember Reach.
Ironcinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 23 August, 2016, 07:26:30 AM »

I have it, and I've played a lot; I like it very much. I ran into a system discovered by another player the other day which was a surprise, given how big the universe/galaxy is.

If you're looking to play with others, this is NOT the game for you! (And I don't think it was ever going to be; Sean Murray was pretty clear about that, IMO.) ED is better for that, but could learn a trick or two from Hello Games.

I'm still a very long way away from the center, although I now have a baller ship, if an ugly one.

Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2016, 08:45:05 AM »

Sadly having played the game a bit and watched many lets play vids of it as well I think it's exactly what I feared in that it doesn't deliver even a fraction of what it promised to. On pure exploration front its fun but the trouble is there isn't really much to discover, sure the planets and animals look different but its all pretty much just minor cosmetic differences, it doesnt really feel like planet X is REALLY all that different to Planet Y, just someone painted the Planet X set purple and stuck horns and tails on all the wildlife and sprinkled glitter on them to make them look different.

Basically the planets all kinda feel like the 'totally different words not just redressed sets honest guv' affairs from the old sci fi shows like Star Trek or Buck Rogers and I was hoping for so much more...

Don't get me wrong the game isn't bad. It's just nothing particularly special.

Also I have to vehemently disagree with the sentiment that any ship in the game is 'baller' (that honestly is my biggest issue with the game, the ships all feel the same, oh sure they look different and you can upgrade them but there doesnt really feel like all that much benefit to doing so and they all handle pretty much identically)

Basically if this was a £15 indy title like Subnautica or Rust I'd be more than happy with it, but it doesnt really deliver much that the likes of those games don't alread (I would argue Subnautica feels more interesting to explore frankly...). However as a full priced release that will set you back the best part of £60 it just doesn't deliver.

For my money Elite Dangerous scratches the same itch this tries to and does so far better, now if NMS patches up and adds in all the promised features in future then I may revise that view but as it stands it just feels like a wasted oppurtunity and a distinctly average game that could have been truly amazing.

In fact it VERY much reminds me of Spore unfortnautely. You can see the potential but it just never quite delivers on it.
« Last Edit: 25 August, 2016, 08:47:24 AM by Locutus9956 » Logged

Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 August, 2016, 08:53:52 AM »

I should add a caveat to the above which is that said opinion is based on what I've seen from a combination of Let's Play videos and my own experiences with a copy of the game that... shall we say... 'fell of the back of a truck' (hence why I haven't done a video on it Wink) so it's possible some of the issues I have with it personally have already been patched out (but from what I've seen in other's videos, they haven't as of yet)

I will say though the horror stories I'd heard about performance seem overblow, I had the occasional bit of lagginess and frame rate drop but for the most part it was perfectly playable even on my (at this point somewhat aging) PC.

Ironcinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2016, 08:51:22 AM »

It's definitely not for everyone!

I'm about 200 hours in. The planets are all similar in some ways, and randomness can make two worlds seem similar but for palette, but sometimes very very different, which is still neat for me.

There is a definite difference with an upgraded ship, but ship to ship combat needs a lot of work to make it meet Sony's advertising.

In general, before I bought it, I looked at what Sean Murray had to say about the game he actually made, and not any of the rubbish that Sony marketroids spewed nor the imaginary expectations of misled players. I found it fascinating: Murray was very clear about the game to my mind and it delivered on that.

My quibbles with it are based on playing an insane amount in a relatively short time after release, and mostly add up to "more content" which isn't going to happen two weeks after release.

If there's a major flaw here, I would lay it right at Sony's door.

Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »

I'd argue you're probably suffering a little from the urge to try and see virtue in the game/give it the benfit of the doubt in alot of places where it isnt really warranted to avoid feeling let down (Lord knows I've been guilty of that myself with games in the past (Star Trek Online I'm looking squarely at you (though to STO's credit it has now evolved into the game I wanted it to be in the first place but it certainly wasn't there at launch).

I would however completely agree that the primary culprit here is Sony. If NMS was an indy title selling or 15-20 quid on Steam I don't think anyone would be throwing their toys out of the pram but Sony has pumped it full of money and overblown marketing that it simply doesn't live up to (or even come close imo).

My main issue with the game remains that the Space part of the game feels very basic compared to the likes of Elite or even relatively simplistic older games like Freelancer. The planets despite their sameyness are actaully pretty neat.

The game I would really like to play is basically Elite Dangerous but with NMS's planetary surfaces once you land. Tbh from what I've played the space parts of NMS could have pretty easily been replaced with an autopilot/cutscene for all the difference it makes (admittedly I've not really given it much of a chance myself on that regard but... well I'm just rather sad that this could have been something really special and it just isn't Sad)

Ironcinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 01 September, 2016, 15:18:39 PM »

I'm pretty clear-eyed about the game's flaws, tbh. I like what it does, but don't expect anyone else to! The lacklustre space combat doesn't bother me too much; there seem to me to be a lot of places where the game suffers from a lack of time and money. There's a huge difference between a team of 9 and a big game dev team, and it shows.

Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 September, 2016, 16:31:25 PM »

the game suffers from a lack of time and money. There's a huge difference between a team of 9 and a big game dev team, and it shows.

See that right there is my issue the real rub of it though. Stick this game on Steam and release it via early access for £15 like most titles along those lines and no-ones complaining. It's got it's flaws but it has alot of potential.

that's not what happened, it was released as a AAA £60 commercial title complete with a massive ad campaign and has raked in the money and I can only assume aside from the presumably MASSIVE cut Sony's taken it's clearly not gone into further development of the game and THAT is whats got alot of folks annoyed (not the game itself)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: