Yeovil Games
21 September, 2017, 22:20:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of the Five Rings: The Return of Soshi Tishi (Next Season nov/dec)  (Read 946 times)
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches
[insert humorous forum title here]

View Profile
« on: 14 July, 2016, 01:30:37 AM »

Soshi Tishi is building an army.
Soshi Tishi is dead.  Decapitated by the Hero, Doji Kenzo.
Soshi Tishi is building an army.
Everyone knows the Tale of Doji Kenzo.  Everyone knows Soshi Tishi is dead.
Soshi Tishi is building an army

The rumours haven't stopped, not for years now.  The legendary madman.  The insane tactical genius.  The most creative, and broken, military commander in a generation; Soshi Tishi is building an army.

The rumours do not care that Soshi Tishi has been dead for a decade; slain by a great and honourable hero.  The rumours come all the same, and where these words lead, soldiers follow.  The Ronin, the Bandits, the Tainted, the Lost.  Many have walked into the Shinomen Mori, seeking Soshi Tishi.  None have returned.

Enough is enough.  Samurai will be sent.  The truth will be discovered.  The Shogun will be told.

This is a tabletop RPG, with a military focus, and possibly a bodycount to rival GoT. (How deadly it is will depend on player action; but the system is gritty and lethal, and I'm not gonna fudge the rolls, get into a swordfight, expect to get cut.)  The theme, for those who don't know L5R, is romanticised samurai, set in a mythologised fictional land.

We'll be playing in an afternoon session, the next one we can find where we're all free.

Confirmed players:
Chris
Bex
Vince
Katie
Ash

game is *full*

More detailed world history to follow.
« Last Edit: 06 September, 2016, 23:51:55 PM by Tomsk » Logged
Maccabeus
Blood Bowl Coaches
I couldn't think of a title for this bit, so I'll just say 'RoboChap is awesome'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2016, 20:32:34 PM »

Yes, yes, Yes!
Locutus9956
Sir Postsalot

Resistance is futile

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2016, 08:44:32 AM »

don't know much about LoTFR but sounds interesting and by the sounds of it... depends precicely when but colour me intrigued

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite signature on the forum!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »

depending on if I'm already down for something in the evening or not, I am tottally up for switching which time slot I'm available for so I can play this game!

I NEED to play in this, such a fun game!
midnightbex
Blood Bowl Coaches
Rank 2 – The Sequel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »

Count me and Vince in Smiley
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2016, 16:23:48 PM »

Timeslot will have to be season after next. (November/December) Afternoon session as mentioned.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2016, 00:03:52 AM »

Regarding world history; I'm going to concentrate on what's different from the core setting as-written.  Those of you who are new to L5R grab me for a chat sometime, and I'll fill you in on the world.

If you know the official history; the Scorpion Clan Coup has not happened, and ignore the official history after that point.

Major historical events of recent decades.

pre 1123

1) The destruction of the Hare Clan - towards the end of the 11th century, several prominent and honourable Samurai of extremely high status testify that the Hare Clan have been practising blood sorcery.  The Emperor disbands the clan, but allows the Usagi family to keep their name.  [this is an event from canon, but in our world it happened decades earlier]

2) The founding of the Wolf Clan - At the very beginning of the 12th century a small group of Samurai brought order to an area of the lawless Ronin Plains, that exist between the territories of the Crane, Scorpion and Crab.  With the help of the Crab Clan, and the Usagi Family the bandit lords who held the region were deposed or pacified, and for their efforts they were rewarded with a family name (Okami) and minor clan status.  The Usagi family joined this fledgling clan, and large numbers of Ronin were naturalised as members of the Okami family.

post 1123 (this is where the world really changes) The history of this troubled era is defined by 'The Tales of Doji Kenzo', a romanticised account of a great hero.

1) The Wars of Blood - Piece by piece, Rokugan starts to tear itself apart.  Clan turns on Clan, Clans turn on themselves, Family fights family.

1a) The South -  Soshi Tishi, Hiruma Akeko and Daidoji Tokumoto, three tactical geniuses of their generation, expected to one day command the entire armies of their respective clans are attacked.  In the aftermath, they begin to go mad.  Eventually it is found that Ambition, the cursed Bloodsword has been poisoning their wills.  Finally, with peace in the south on a knife edge, the rogue commanders are brought down and slain.  Soshi Tishi is the last to die, in the lands of the Wolf, wielding the Bloodsword in a duel against Doji Kenzo.  Kenzo strikes a killing blow, as the town burns down around them.  The body is never recovered.
Outright civil war in the south is prevented, but the reinforcements Tishi and Tokumoto were bringing to the Crab, along with the Hiruma reserves under the command of Akeko are for the most part destroyed.  The Crab Clan are expecting a dramatic attack from the Shadowlands, but the South can no longer give them the reinforcements they need.

1b) The Lion Clan - Akodo Toturi's only child dies, and Toturi himself joins the Deathseekers, leaving the clan without a Daimyo.  Leaderless the clan dissolves into infighting; Matsu Seto, Daimyo of the Matsu family eventually, and with the aid of Kenzo, takes control of the Clan as a whole, defying a millennia of tradition where the Matsu have bowed to the Akodo.

1c) The Unicorn - The Moto murder the ruling elite of the Shinjo family, leaving no conceivable order of succession.  The Clan falls into full blown civil war, a war that Otaku Sakura, a ruthless warlord, decisively wins at great and bloody cost.

1d) The Dragon and the Phoenix - These two great clans go to war against each other, with the Dragon proving the more potent military force.  The war is swift and bloody, and none know the cause.  Kenzo finally negotiates a peace between them.

1e) The Imperial Families and the Crane - Throughout these multiple civil wars, the Emperor remains silent, already an old man, nobody would dare voice what everyone knows.  He is not capable of governing the Empire.
In a time like this, the Emerald Champion (Currently a Crane) would be expected to speak for the Emperor, and bring order to Rokugan, but he is silent.  Doji Kenichi, Crane Clan Daimyo holds his armies back and keeps order in the northern half of his clan.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2016, 00:27:22 AM »

2) The Battle of the Shogunate - Those who can read the signs can tell that Kenichi has eyes on the never claimed title of Shogun.  The Emerald Champion could have acted to mitigate the recent disasters but has remained silent, presumably on Kenichi's urging.  If the chaos and bloodshed become untenable, then when he declares himself Shogun, he will be welcomed.  But he is not the only Daimyo who can see that Rokugan needs a Shogun, and his having allowed the chaos to spread so far does not help in the coming challenge.  The Shogunate can only be claimed by force.

2a) Matsu Seto - now in full control of the Lion Armies, but unwilling to spend Ikoma or Akodo blood on her own conquest, she marches twenty five thousand Matsu warriors towards the capital.

2b) Doji Yoshinori - commander of the Doji armies, appointed by Kenichi, marches out to meet the Lion on the field, and demonstrate their superiority against one of the greatest military forces in the Empire, their troops are not as battle hardened as the Matsu, but with thirty thousand they have the numbers.

2c) Otaku Sakura - having pacified her clan with sword and blood,  rides for the capital with a mere fifteen thousand troops, a mix of Otaku and Shinjo soldiers.  But her force is entirely cavalry, and she brings all two hundred of the Battle Maidens.  The most elite cavalry in the Empire, usually spread out among the thousands of Unicorn troops as leaders and champions.  Today they ride as a single unit.

The Lion and the Crane force march as fast as they can, each hoping to break the other in the field before the Unicorn can arrive.  They are too late by mere hours, and as the armies array themselves into formation ready for battle, the Otaku cavalry crest the hill.

2d) Doji Kenzo - Kenzo himself is present, with five thousand Daidoji Iron Warriors, not enough to make his own claim, but a significant boon to whichever side they join.  Many would expect him to pledge his sword to the Doji, but after speaking with Seto and Sakura, he allies his soldiers with the Lion, and after a bloody battle, Matsu Seto has the field.  All bow to the Shogun.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »

3) The Shadowlands Invasion; while civil war wracks the North, the predicted Shadowlands attack has come.  Greater in magnitude than any imagined.  The Shogun orders all of the clans to send troops south, but by the time these armies arrive, much damage has been done.

3a) The Carpenter Wall, the greatest defence against the forces of Fu Leng is broken.  A colossal Oni, larger than any ever seen, known only as 'The Beast' by those who have seen it, powers through the gigantic wall.  In the aftermath, Kaiu engineers determine that the foundations had been systematically eroded by some great burrowing beast.

3b) The siege of Kyuden Hida.  The ancestral home of the Hida family, greatest fortress of the Crab clan is besieged by the forces of the Shadowlands.  The beast itself advances on the castle as Daidoji forces, led by Doji Kenzo, come to their aid.  Hida Kisada, the Great Bear, champion of the Crab is the first to draw blood from the Beast, leaping from high walls of Kyuden Hida to his death, but wounding the titanic Oni in the process.  Emboldened by his sacrifice the Crab are able to hold fast until relief arrives, as the hordes of Oni scramble up the body of the beast to more easily scale the great walls.

3c) Kyuden Hida Falls.  Those who were there speak of a great heaving in the earth.  A rumbling grinding sound that seemed to speak to them in a language they couldn't understand.  Then the Castle was unmade.  The great stone walls flew apart, every block and brick sent outwards with a great and irresistible force.  The Beast, coiled round the castle, was torn asunder along with thousands of Oni, routing the army.  When the dust settled, all that remained of the great castle was it's shrine to the Kami of the Earth.

3d) The end of the war.  Doji Kenzo rides into the Shadowlands, he does not return.  The armies of Rokugan arrive in full force and turn the tide back at great cost.  Order returns to the Empire.  A terrible chapter in the history of Rokugan is brought to a close, but not without lasting consequences.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2016, 11:07:07 AM »

TLDR version

Bad things happen.

Civil War. 

Invasion of Demons.

Aftermath (aka; how does this affect me?)

This game takes place ten years after these events.  Rokugan still bears the scars, and in particular in the south, is still fighting the tail end of the Shadowlands invasion.

The Shogunate.  This is a big change; Rokugan has always been lead by the Emperor, but now there is a new figure in command of the Empire.  The Shogun.  Many thought Matsu Seto would step down when the crisis was over.  She has not.

The Wall is still broken.  Work progresses slowly to repair the damage done in the war.  The Kaiu discover that the eroded foundations stretch over a wider area than the actual breach, and the demons do not stop attacking.

The south is a dangerous place.  Many Oni came through the breach, some still manage to slip through.  Crab lands are no longer safe.

There are growing whispers that Gaijin Pepper, long forbidden in Rokugan, may soon be legalised to combat the Oni threat in the south.

The Akodo family of the Lion recover their place at the head of their Clan.  The Shinjo of the Unicorn do not.  The Otaku family lead the Unicorn now.  The Shinjo still exist, but no longer in power, and the Moto all live under a suspended death sentence for the crimes of their family.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2016, 00:02:43 AM »

Edited original post to include a list of confirmed players and to reflect that as time has passed this is now happening next season.

I'll be missing one or two of the sessions (I'll list which ones nearer the time), so I'd like to have created characters before we start the game so we can get right into things.  I'll be bringing the corebook to club with me for the rest of this season; if you have ideas let me know, if you need to know more about the system/setting then ask me.
midnightbex
Blood Bowl Coaches
Rank 2 – The Sequel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September, 2016, 16:51:03 PM »

Hi
Is it 4th edition?
Thanks
B
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 September, 2016, 17:59:40 PM »

Yes!
LethalKitten
Administrator
All the cool kids were born in the 80's

The feeling when the GM asks 'are you sure?'

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2016, 14:21:43 PM »

Do you think we would be able to make characters this week in the lunch break? As there's only a few weeks left to do it
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2016, 22:13:19 PM »

Sure!  I'll have books and sheets.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2016, 23:07:33 PM »

As mentioned, I will be missing a couple of dates for this:
6th November
11th December

Also, the final week of this season would land on Xmas day, when we'll obviously not be open, so what happens with that is up in the air.

If I'm around for the following interseasonal, I'd certainly be up for running an extra session to make up for missing sessions, but I can't promise availability till we know what Xmas is doing for our scheduling.
Maccabeus
Blood Bowl Coaches
I couldn't think of a title for this bit, so I'll just say 'RoboChap is awesome'

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2016, 00:19:32 AM »

I will be away 20th November.
Tomsk
Blood Bowl Coaches

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 December, 2016, 13:18:32 PM »

Just to confirm that all uncertainty has vanished.  I am certainly missing on the 11th of December.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: